Perseverance – Andrew Larsen
Paul calls us to run our race with perseverance – Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us…
A couple of things strike me about perseverance. Firstly, in the middle of the word is “severe”. Why we need perseverance is because what we are all going to face is going to be severe. And this is why we have to know that we are in the right race.
Secondly, as I’m a big motor racing fan, I can’t but help think of any race as a motor race. In a motor race you have to do a lot of preparation and plan for a lot of factors, including:
- Where are we racing? When are we racing? Our race is this life and it’s now – we are already in it.
- What are the likely conditions? Sunny and hot, wet or cold, twisty with lots of turns or wide sweeping corners? Have we anticipated the likely and changeable conditions along the way? Have we allowed for the fact that things might not always turn out as planned?
- You have to have a pit stop and refuel. Make sure we take time to have a rest and a pit stop. We need to take on extra fuel and take our temperature and pressures to make sure we can make it to the end.
- The driver is usually in constant communication with the pits, getting the latest information and what else is happening. Are we in constant contact with our pits- Jesus? Are we asking for his input and guidance? Are we asking for where we might face challenges in the future?
- We race to win because there is a prize. Let’s run our race so as to be winners. Paul exhorts us to run so as to win (1 Cor 9:24). The prize we win is to see Jesus face to face.
- Race cars have no excessive weight or baggage. Weight is a great impediment to winning a race as it slows the car down. Are we carrying any excess baggage that we need to get rid of? What do we need to let go of to make us go faster?
The race we are running is a serious race and we need to be prepared and do our best to run as to win and to keep at it. But there will be challenges and problems that we’ll need to overcome. But we have the master tactician and helper on our side. Let’s not waste our chance of winning or be taken out by others who crash out along the way.